Candy apples are great at this time of year. These super bright candy apples are perfect for a halloween party. Just be careful with your teeth!
Created by sweetexperiment on October 27, 2016
Share this recipe:
- Total Time: 1h
- Serves: 4
- Yield: 4 Candy Apples
- 4 apples (unwaxed if possible)
- 400 grams white sugar
- 2 tablespoons glucose syrup
- 100 millilitres water
- food colouring of your choice
- Wash and dry the apples and remove the stalks. If you don't have unwaxed apples place the apples in a large bowl, cover with boiling water and remove with a large spoon immediately and dry. This will remove the wax. Place the apples on a non stick mat, or lightly oiled tray. Place a lollipop stick in the top of each apple.
- Place half of the sugar, glucose syrup, water into a pan and add food colouring of your choice (about 10-15 drops). Cook on a medium heat and let the syrup boil gently without stirring. Place a sugar thermometer into the pan and when the syrup reaches 149C remove from the heat.
- Carefully dip each apple into the syrup, tilting the pan as you spin and cover each apple. Be very careful as the syrup is extremely hot.
- Place the apples onto your non stick tray and leave to dry for around 20 minutes.
- Make a second batch of syrup using the other half of the sugar, glucose syrup and water. Add a different food colouring of your choice. When the syrup is ready spoon it onto the top of each apple and let it drip down the sides. Leave to cool.